“Your knife for life” – Pakkawood
I had the most horrible weekend. I had called some friends over, and I planned to make my famous American Chop Suey with Hot and Sour Vegetables and soup. I was so excited to have them over, and it had been ages since I had cooked.
The following weekend, I set to chopping the vegetables to make the base for the hot and sour gravy. It was going okay till I was chopping coriander and onions. The moment I got to cabbage; the handle of my knife started wobbling.
I did not pay heed to that, and chopped away, till mid-way the second cabbage, the handle broke into two parts, one stuck in between the cabbage and one in my hand, leaving me wide-eyed with shock.
The handle was so weak, it just cracked under pressure, literally. I needed a new sturdy knife. But I did not know what to look for. So, after a lot of research, I came across something called Pakkawood.
Pakkawood (also called Colorwood, Dymondwood, and Staminawood) is an engineered wood/resin composite, which makes an ultra-durable and strong material, quite dense and far more water-resistant than its real-wood counterparts.
Pakkawood is mostly used in knife handles because of its adaptable and durable characteristics. It holds up to lots of daily wear and tears. While buying high-end kitchen knives, you are always promised that they will last you a lifetime. Of course, for this to happen, the handles need to last under the same conditions and your blades.
However much it is said that Pakkawood is water-resistant; it is not dishwasher proof. You cannot leave a Pakkawood knife in water (or soapy water) for an extended period. After all, it is made of wood veneers, and it will react to water after some time and ruin your Pakkawood.
Always make sure to dry your knives after washing them by hand. Do not let water react to it for too long. Here are some great picks from Amazon for you. Your Pakkawood chase just got a little shorter!
5 Best Pakkawood Knife You can Buy
1. TUO HC German X50CrMoV15
TUO Cutlery Chef knives have the best craftsmanship with an ergonomic handle for the ultimate comfort and durability. The Chef Knives use the German X50CrMov15 stainless steel, known to have the best kitchen performance among all the steels.
It is razor-sharp and is easy to maintain. The full tang handle is made of Pakkawood. It is way more stable as compared to other knives. It guaranteed no shrinking or expansion of the handle and no cracks in the handle after usage. Pakkawood assures you of quality cooking and safety.
In addition to the pros, the knife stands out in the look and feel too. Customers are guaranteed satisfaction and a lifetime warranty. If not satisfied, they also have a money-back policy. Fiery Phoenix Chef Knife Collection offers general utility knives designed to perform well at all kitchen tasks for cooks such as mincing, dicing, chopping, and slicing vegetables and meat.
You have a choice of blade shapes you can choose from. You also have a choice between French and German blades. German-style knives are more deeply and continuously curved along the cutting edge.
The French style has an edge that is straighter until the end and then curves up to the tip. You also have a choice of various kinds of knives and sizes in this Pakkawood handle range.
- 【Reliable Quality】Tuo chef knife is made of High Carbon German 1.4116 steel, which has more advantages in hardness and sharpness than 3Cr and 5Cr, and it is not easy to rust and become dull. The veteran craftsman makes 15 degree bilateral cutting edge by hand, and the cutting is as smooth as a hot knife cutting butter. Professional curved blade, easy to cut vegetables and meat.
- 【Versatile Knife】The chef's knife is designed for chefs and can be used for a wide range of purposes, including cutting meat, vegetables, fruits and other daily ingredients. Compared to the traditional kitchen knife, it is lighter to handle heavy kitchen tasks.
- 【Elegent Handle】The handle is made of high-quality Pakkawood, finely ground and polished, with smooth lines, comfortable grip, and durable use. The cast steel handle is not easy to fall off, and the Tuo logo is printed on the tail to highlight the texture and taste.
- 【Humanized design】Tuo knives are ergonomically designed to increase the comfort of use. The the blade and the handle is well balanced. The contact point between the hand and the knife is separately polished to make the hand feel more round and smooth.
- 【Lifetime Warranty】100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk-free. We will give you a lifetime guarantee against manufacturer defects. Exquisite gift box packaging, both for personal use and gift giving.
2. Shun Classic 8″ Chef’s Knife
“Shun” (shoon) is Japanese for “food at the peak of its freshness and flavor.” It is a word used to describe local, seasonal Japanese food at the peak of its perfection. The brand draws on its Japanese roots and traditional blade making practices to make knives that deliver excellence.
VG-MAX steel is an exclusive formula to Shun with extra tungsten to give the Chef a sharper edge, more chromium for corrosion resistance, and additional cobalt and carbon for strength durability.
The handle is made of Ebony Pakkawood- hardwood infused with resin for a durable and water-resistant finish, a perfect fit for your kitchen, and perfect for rigid and constant usage.
This 8″ Chef’s knife is perfect for being used as a kitchen utensil for daily use or as a gift to newlyweds, homeowners, parents, or cooks, and aspiring chefs as a personal kitchen tool.
Shun provides you with six choices, based on your kitchen needs, according to the size of the chef knife and whether you need a sharpener with it:
- VG-MAX steel is a formula exclusive to Shun with extra tungsten for a sharper edge, more chromium for corrosion resistance and additional cobalt and carbon for strength and durability
- Handle is ebony PakkaWood; PakkaWood is a hardwood infused with resin for a durable, water resistant finish, perfect for easy cleaning and tough enough for constant use
- For proper slicing, push the knife forward and down while cutting through food and then pull it up and back, repeating the process in a “locomotive” motion; this prevents chipping for smooth cuts
- “Shun” the Japanese word indicates a food’s peak ripeness; Shun draws on its Japanese roots and traditional blade-making practices to produce knives that perform excellently
- The 8-inch Chef’s Knife is a staple kitchen utensil and a great gift for newlyweds, homeowners, parents, grandparents, cooks, aspiring chefs, hostesses or to keep as a personal kitchen tool
3. WALLOP Chef Knife
Wallop Knives are made from high-quality German 1.4116 high carbon stainless steel, which is rust-resistant. Their knives have been treated in a vacuum, extreme heat, and nitrogen, providing not only strength but flexibility and durability to the blade.
The knives have been sharpened with the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method at the temperature varying from 14 degrees to 16 degrees, giving you double-level blades that ensure a razor-sharp cutting edge.
The full tang handle with triple-riveted and the forged bolster allows balance while handling the knife for efficient cutting. The Pakkawood handle is ergonomically designed to ensure non-slippery and a comfortable grip.
This multipurpose chef knife is perfect for chopping, slicing, mincing, and dicing meat, fish, vegetables, or fruits. It is a perfect addition to your kitchen and a great tool to get through your daily cooking tasks with full efficiency. Their products come with a lifetime of customer service and a premium gift box for your gifting needs!
You have a choice of 10 other types of knives and their sizes too. Take your pick!
4. Chef Knife 8 inch, Gryffin High Carbon German Steel
Gryffin Knives are built with premium German 1.4116 high-performance stainless steel at 56+ Rockwell hardness for a long-lasting, rust, and stain-free performance.
Their blades have a razor-sharp blade edge, hand sharpened at 14-16 degrees on both sides for maximum sharpness and edge retention, ensuring precision slicing, cutting, mincing.
The handles are ergonomically designed for maximum robustness and lifetime durability with Pakkawood to deliver strength, refinement, and beauty.
The knife has a slightly curved and extra-wide blade, just right for fulfilling all your cooking tasks.
The knives come in a high-quality black gift box (as shown in the picture), making it the perfect gift for all. On Amazon, 8-inch Chef Knives are available for delivery.
- ✔️ HIGHEST GRADE STEEL - Built with Premium German 1.4116 high performance stainless steel to perfection at 56+ Rockwell hardness for long lasting performance, rust and stain resistant.
- ✔️ RAZOR-SHARP BLADE EDGE - Hand sharpened edge at 14-16 degrees per side for maximum sharpness & edge retention ensuring precision slicing every time.
- ✔️ ERGONOMIC AND DURABLE - Triple Riveted Forged Full Tang for maximum robustness. This knife is built to last a lifetime. Laminated pakkawood handle for superior strength, refinement, and beauty
- ✔️ MULTI-FUNCTIONAL KNIFE – Every kitchen needs a versatile knife. With an extra-wide and slightly curved blade, this chef’s knife is just right for cutting, slicing, mincing, dicing, cubing and everyday jobs.
- ✔️ THE PERFECT GIFT - The knife comes in a high-quality black gift box, making it the perfect gift for wife, husband, parents, grandparents or friends.
5. Chef’s Knife 8 Inch with Sharpener Plus Cover Sheath
Kitcheekat manufactures high-quality stainless-steel blades and is voted to be the sharpest kitchen knife by Amazon customers.
It includes a sharpener with coarse and fine angled slots to keep all your knives sharp all the time! Kicheekat knives come with a blade cover and an elegant gift box too.
These covers are custom fit for storing your knife safely and to take your Chef’s knife tailgating, to barbeques, or for catering.
The cover is adequately ventilated to prevent rust even if put away wet. The gift box is matte black with the famous Chef’s red foil cat claw Kitcheecat logo.
A blade cover is an option for you all. You can go for just the knife as well.
- ✅ HEFTY PRO QUALITY KNIFE DIRECT FROM MANUFACTURER High Quality Stainless Steel Blade Voted Sharpest Kitchen Knife by Amazon Customers!!
- ✅ COOK WITH A PRO'S KNIFE for much less money! Search no more. You won't find a better, sharper knife at this direct to you price.
- ✅ SHARPENER INCLUDED! Use on all your old dull knives, includes coarse and fine angled slots.
- ✅BLADE COVER INCLUDED! Custom Fit Sheath to Store Safely or take your Chef's knife tailgating, bbqs, or catering. Unique Cover is ventilated to prevent rust if put away wet.
- ✅ELEGANT GIFT BOX INCLUDED! Black matte box with playful famous Chef's red foil cat claw Kitcheekat logo, add a bow and go! Always 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed!
Appearance & Composition
Pakkawood is formed by the process of impregnating hardwood veneers with phenolic thermoset resins and dyes. They become excellent and dense after extreme heat and pressure are applied. In a single inch of Pakkawood, you will find about 29 pieces of wood stacked together.
The finished product can appear to be very similar to the natural hardwood in a few cases, depending on its results. In most cases, Pakkawood used in knives are made to look as much as natural wood on purpose, and some dyes are later added to imitate common hardwoods – oak, walnut, etc.
Pakkawood can look like a new type of wood when some specific dyes are added to create different patterns or colors or handle a unique look.
Multi-colored products or even camouflage are a few examples of being creative with Pakkawood.
It can be dyed in any color imaginable. You can have a knife of color Fuschia or rainbow or any other shade under the sun. Based on the dyes used, an unknown type, out-of-this-world, unique appearance can be given to your knife handle if the material is Pakkawood.
With the help of sanding and polishing, Pakkawood gives the knife a glossy look without the need for a spray-on on the handle. Pakkawood gives you a similar look and feel as finished wood but has characteristics that cannot be performed by any natural wood.
Its durability, water-resistance capabilities, and beauty make it a beautiful alternative to natural wood in many applications in today’s world.
Uses – Knives, Kitchenware & Others
Pakkawood, due to its characteristics, is mostly used to make knife handles. But apart from knives, it is characteristics appeal to the manufacturing of other kinds of kitchenware as well.
In addition to being durable and waterproof, the utensils are scratch-proof and non-stick as well. Pakkawood is used in the manufacturing of spoons and forks. It is an excellent alternative to steel.
Pakkawood also has been used out of the kitchen. It is used in military equipment handles and musical instruments. Other uses are knitting needles and pool cues or pens, brushes, and picture frames. Moreover, more uses of Pakkawood are still being discovered.
After going through so much material on Pakkawood and how it is your best investment if you want an excellent long-lasting knife with a unique look and feel to it, I had to go and buy mine the moment I was done.
Pakkawood knives are so durable that you can probably pass them off as your family heirloom.
So, what are you waiting for? Get your Pakkawood knives today!