What is Pakkawood? – Unlock Why it Makes Amazing Knife Handles
“Your knife for life” – Pakkawood I had the most horrible weekend. I had called some friends over, and I planned to make my famous American Chop Suey with Hot and Sour Vegetables...
“Your knife for life” – Pakkawood
I had the most horrible weekend. I had called some friends over, and I planned to make my famous American Chop Suey with Hot and Sour Vegetables and soup. I was so excited to have them over, and it had been ages since I had cooked.
The following weekend, I set to chopping the vegetables to make the base for the hot and sour gravy. It was going okay till I was chopping coriander and onions. The moment I got to cabbage; the handle of my knife started wobbling.
I did not pay heed to that, and chopped away, till mid-way the second cabbage, the handle broke into two parts, one stuck in between the cabbage and one in my hand, leaving me wide-eyed with shock.
The handle was so weak, it just cracked under pressure, literally. I needed a new sturdy knife. But I did not know what to look for. So, after a lot of research, I came across something called Pakkawood.
Pakkawood (also called Colorwood, Dymondwood, and Staminawood) is an engineered wood/resin composite, which makes an ultra-durable and strong material, quite dense and far more water-resistant than its real-wood counterparts.
Pakkawood is mostly used in knife handles because of its adaptable and durable characteristics. It holds up to lots of daily wear and tears. While buying high-end kitchen knives, you are always promised that they will last you a lifetime. Of course, for this to happen, the handles need to last under the same conditions and your blades.
However much it is said that Pakkawood is water-resistant; it is not dishwasher proof. You cannot leave a Pakkawood knife in water (or soapy water) for an extended period. After all, it is made of wood veneers, and it will react to water after some time and ruin your Pakkawood.
Always make sure to dry your knives after washing them by hand. Do not let water react to it for too long. Here are some great picks from Amazon for you. Your Pakkawood chase just got a little shorter!
5 Best Pakkawood Knife You can Buy
1. TUO HC German X50CrMoV15
TUO Cutlery Chef knives have the best craftsmanship with an ergonomic handle for the ultimate comfort and durability. The Chef Knives use the German X50CrMov15 stainless steel, known to have the best kitchen performance among all the steels.
It is razor-sharp and is easy to maintain. The full tang handle is made of Pakkawood. It is way more stable as compared to other knives. It guaranteed no shrinking or expansion of the handle and no cracks in the handle after usage. Pakkawood assures you of quality cooking and safety.
In addition to the pros, the knife stands out in the look and feel too. Customers are guaranteed satisfaction and a lifetime warranty. If not satisfied, they also have a money-back policy. Fiery Phoenix Chef Knife Collection offers general utility knives designed to perform well at all kitchen tasks for cooks such as mincing, dicing, chopping, and slicing vegetables and meat.
You have a choice of blade shapes you can choose from. You also have a choice between French and German blades. German-style knives are more deeply and continuously curved along the cutting edge.
The French style has an edge that is straighter until the end and then curves up to the tip. You also have a choice of various kinds of knives and sizes in this Pakkawood handle range.
- 🔪WORLD-BEST KITCHEN KNIVES AWARDED: TUO Cutlery Fiery Phoenix Series kitchen knives were selected as one of the world-best kitchen knives by wiki.ezvid.com. Among all kinds of a kitchen knife, a chef’s knife is the most versatile one in the kitchen. TUO Chefs knife, featuring a 10-inch flat narrow blade, it can also be used as a carving knife.
- ✅SUPER STEEL: Adopted German High-carbon Stainless steel, it promises you the blade won’t rust over time in most of the circumstances and easy to resharpen. The steel is precisely processed with high-tech vacuum heat treatment to reach the hardness HRC56±2 for extraordinary performance and edge retention. Most importantly, the edge won’t chip easily.
- ✅PREMIUM PAKKAWOOD HANDLE: The full tang handle is made from our patent-pending high-density Pakkawood composite. Compare to other wood handles, it is way more stable and sanitary. No matter how bad the kitchen environment is, it will be no shrimp, no expansion, no crack, assuring you food safety.
- ✅WELL DESIGNED: From the striking grain of the polished pakkawood (sourced from Africa) handle to the gentle curve of the blade, this is an ergonomic full tang handle design for exceptional comfort and durability. The handle is specifically designed to hold comfortably in your hand with great balance. The bolster of the handle is carefully polished for a perfect pinch grip.
- 💯TUO LIFETIME GUARANTEE: 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk-free. We guarantee a superior product that will give you a lifetime guarantee against manufacturer defects. With the luxury case, it is the wise choice as a gift.
2. Shun Classic 8″ Chef’s Knife
“Shun” (shoon) is Japanese for “food at the peak of its freshness and flavor.” It is a word used to describe local, seasonal Japanese food at the peak of its perfection. The brand draws on its Japanese roots and traditional blade making practices to make knives that deliver excellence.
VG-MAX steel is an exclusive formula to Shun with extra tungsten to give the Chef a sharper edge, more chromium for corrosion resistance, and additional cobalt and carbon for strength durability.
The handle is made of Ebony Pakkawood- hardwood infused with resin for a durable and water-resistant finish, a perfect fit for your kitchen, and perfect for rigid and constant usage.
This 8″ Chef’s knife is perfect for being used as a kitchen utensil for daily use or as a gift to newlyweds, homeowners, parents, or cooks, and aspiring chefs as a personal kitchen tool.
Shun provides you with six choices, based on your kitchen needs, according to the size of the chef knife and whether you need a sharpener with it:
- JAPANESE CHEF'S KNIFE: The Shun 8-inch Classic Chef's knife is the perfect all-purpose kitchen knife. It's ideal for preparing fruit, vegetables, meat and more.
- WIDE, CURVED BLADE: This Japanese kitchen knife has a wide blade that keeps knuckles off the cutting board with a curved belly that can be "rocked" through herbs and spices for a very fine mince.
- HIGH-QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Constructed with Shun's proprietary VG-MAX cutting core and clad in 68 layers of stainless Damascus, this chef knife is corrosion and stain resistant with a strong, razor-sharp edge.
- COMFORTABLE HANDLE: The D-shaped, ebony-finished Pakkawood handle is durable, beautiful, doesn't harbor bacteria, and comfortable to use for both left- and right-handed users.
- TRADITIONAL, ARTISAN CUTLERY: Inspired by the traditions of ancient Japan, Shun knives are handcrafted by highly skilled artisans to produce blades of unparalleled quality and beauty.
3. WALLOP Chef Knife
Wallop Knives are made from high-quality German 1.4116 high carbon stainless steel, which is rust-resistant. Their knives have been treated in a vacuum, extreme heat, and nitrogen, providing not only strength but flexibility and durability to the blade.
The knives have been sharpened with the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method at the temperature varying from 14 degrees to 16 degrees, giving you double-level blades that ensure a razor-sharp cutting edge.
The full tang handle with triple-riveted and the forged bolster allows balance while handling the knife for efficient cutting. The Pakkawood handle is ergonomically designed to ensure non-slippery and a comfortable grip.
This multipurpose chef knife is perfect for chopping, slicing, mincing, and dicing meat, fish, vegetables, or fruits. It is a perfect addition to your kitchen and a great tool to get through your daily cooking tasks with full efficiency. Their products come with a lifetime of customer service and a premium gift box for your gifting needs!
You have a choice of 10 other types of knives and their sizes too. Take your pick!
4. Chef Knife 8 inch, Gryffin High Carbon German Steel
Gryffin Knives are built with premium German 1.4116 high-performance stainless steel at 56+ Rockwell hardness for a long-lasting, rust, and stain-free performance.
Their blades have a razor-sharp blade edge, hand sharpened at 14-16 degrees on both sides for maximum sharpness and edge retention, ensuring precision slicing, cutting, mincing.
The handles are ergonomically designed for maximum robustness and lifetime durability with Pakkawood to deliver strength, refinement, and beauty.
The knife has a slightly curved and extra-wide blade, just right for fulfilling all your cooking tasks.
The knives come in a high-quality black gift box (as shown in the picture), making it the perfect gift for all. On Amazon, 8-inch Chef Knives are available for delivery.
- ✔️ HIGHEST GRADE STEEL - Built with Premium German 1.4116 high performance stainless steel to perfection at 56+ Rockwell hardness for long lasting performance, rust and stain resistant.
- ✔️ RAZOR-SHARP BLADE EDGE - Hand sharpened edge at 14-16 degrees per side for maximum sharpness & edge retention ensuring precision slicing every time.
- ✔️ ERGONOMIC AND DURABLE - Triple Riveted Forged Full Tang for maximum robustness. This knife is built to last a lifetime. Laminated pakkawood handle for superior strength, refinement, and beauty
- ✔️ MULTI-FUNCTIONAL KNIFE – Every kitchen needs a versatile knife. With an extra-wide and slightly curved blade, this chef’s knife is just right for cutting, slicing, mincing, dicing, cubing and everyday jobs.
- ✔️ THE PERFECT GIFT - The knife comes in a high-quality black gift box, making it the perfect gift for wife, husband, parents, grandparents or friends.
5. Chef’s Knife 8 Inch with Sharpener Plus Cover Sheath
Kitcheekat manufactures high-quality stainless-steel blades and is voted to be the sharpest kitchen knife by Amazon customers.
It includes a sharpener with coarse and fine angled slots to keep all your knives sharp all the time! Kicheekat knives come with a blade cover and an elegant gift box too.
These covers are custom fit for storing your knife safely and to take your Chef’s knife tailgating, to barbeques, or for catering.
The cover is adequately ventilated to prevent rust even if put away wet. The gift box is matte black with the famous Chef’s red foil cat claw Kitcheecat logo.
A blade cover is an option for you all. You can go for just the knife as well.
Appearance & Composition
Pakkawood is formed by the process of impregnating hardwood veneers with phenolic thermoset resins and dyes. They become excellent and dense after extreme heat and pressure are applied. In a single inch of Pakkawood, you will find about 29 pieces of wood stacked together.
The finished product can appear to be very similar to the natural hardwood in a few cases, depending on its results. In most cases, Pakkawood used in knives are made to look as much as natural wood on purpose, and some dyes are later added to imitate common hardwoods – oak, walnut, etc.
Pakkawood can look like a new type of wood when some specific dyes are added to create different patterns or colors or handle a unique look.
Multi-colored products or even camouflage are a few examples of being creative with Pakkawood.
It can be dyed in any color imaginable. You can have a knife of color Fuschia or rainbow or any other shade under the sun. Based on the dyes used, an unknown type, out-of-this-world, unique appearance can be given to your knife handle if the material is Pakkawood.
With the help of sanding and polishing, Pakkawood gives the knife a glossy look without the need for a spray-on on the handle. Pakkawood gives you a similar look and feel as finished wood but has characteristics that cannot be performed by any natural wood.
Its durability, water-resistance capabilities, and beauty make it a beautiful alternative to natural wood in many applications in today’s world.
Uses – Knives, Kitchenware & Others
Pakkawood, due to its characteristics, is mostly used to make knife handles. But apart from knives, it is characteristics appeal to the manufacturing of other kinds of kitchenware as well.
In addition to being durable and waterproof, the utensils are scratch-proof and non-stick as well. Pakkawood is used in the manufacturing of spoons and forks. It is an excellent alternative to steel.
Pakkawood also has been used out of the kitchen. It is used in military equipment handles and musical instruments. Other uses are knitting needles and pool cues or pens, brushes, and picture frames. Moreover, more uses of Pakkawood are still being discovered.
After going through so much material on Pakkawood and how it is your best investment if you want an excellent long-lasting knife with a unique look and feel to it, I had to go and buy mine the moment I was done.
Pakkawood knives are so durable that you can probably pass them off as your family heirloom.
So, what are you waiting for? Get your Pakkawood knives today!