6 Affordable Chef Knives Under $100
I did not know anything about knives when I first started cooking. I remember using a utility serrated knife for buttering my toast andchopping the vegetables. It was only recently, when I was...
I did not know anything about knives when I first started cooking. I remember using a utility serrated knife for buttering my toast andchopping the vegetables.
It was only recently, when I was browsing through kitchenware on Amazon.com, when I came across beautiful, the best chef knives under $100.
They were all so pretty and shiny and pretty all over again, I wanted to buy all of them. In the end, I settled for one chef’s knife after drooling over the collection for an hour or so.
Before investing in chef knives, you must have some basic knowledge about them.
Top 6 Affordable Chef’s Knives
So, after keeping all these criteria in mind, here are the Top 6 Affordable chef’s knives, that I came across when browsing.
1. Victorinox 10 Inch Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife
The Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife has been a popular choice of both home chefs and professionals. Experts crafted by experts with a tapered stainless-steel edge that cuts with ease and efficiency, first in Switzerland in 1884.
It is perfect for all your daily kitchen tasks, both big and small, which has made it a kitchen must-have. The knife’s razor-sharp and laser tested blade is made to chop effortlessly, mince, slice, and dice, and ensures maximum cutting performance and durability.
It is 10 inches in length, pure stainless steel, and is made dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
The knife’s handle has been ergonomically designed and made from thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) for a non-slip grip, even when wet.
This exceptional knife is weighted and balanced for ease of handling. Victorinox provides its customers with a lifetime guarantee against defects in material and artistry.
Besides, Victorinox gives you other choices in their products, size, and type of edge in your chef knife:
- FOR HOME CHEFS & PROFESSIONALS. This Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife has been the top choice of both home chefs and professionals alike. Expertly crafted with a tapered stainless steel edge that cuts with ease and efficiency.
- FIT FOR ALL TASKS. Designed to handle kitchen tasks both big and small, this durable knife's razor sharp and laser-tested blade effortlessly chops, minces, slices and dices. An essential for every kitchen.
- EASY HANDLING. Each knife features an ergonomic handle made from thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) for a non-slip grip -- even when wet. This exceptional knife is weighted and balanced for easy handling.
- KNIFE DIMENSIONS. Blade made out of stainless steel material -- 10 inches in length. Made with dishwasher safe materials for an easy clean.
- TRUSTED SWISS QUALITY. Expertly crafted in Switzerland in 1884, Victorinox provides a lifetime guarantee against defects in material and workmanship. Making a lifetime commitment has never been so easy.
2. Mercer Culinary Genesis Forged Carving Knife
Mercer Forged Knife comes with NSF certified Santoprene handles for maximum comfort and safe grip. The blade is of high carbon forged steel from Solingen, Germany.
It is stain, rust, corrosion, and discoloration resistant and comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty. And it is correctly balanced due to its full tang design.
The knife’s taper-ground edge allows added stability, easy honing, long-lasting sharpness, and increased efficiency while chopping.
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Knife is precision-forged with high-carbon German steel for better durability, and taper-ground edge allows for increased efficiency when cutting along with incredible long-lasting sharpness
- SUPERIOR DESIGN: The finest handle in forged cutlery; built to last ergonomic handle offers comfort and a non-slip grip, even with wet hands
- BEST USE: Sharp tines are perfect for piercing food; a compliment to any of Mercer Culinary's Carving Knives to easily slice and serve meats like chicken, ham, or turkey
- EASY CARE: To maximize the performance and longevity of your carving fork, carefully wash by hand with warm water and mild soap; rinse and dry completely with a soft towel. Do not place in dishwasher or submerge for long periods of time
- MERCER CULINARY GENESIS SERIES: Never stop experimenting in the kitchen; this Genesis fork is essential in every kitchen, perfect for professional use or the home cooking enthusiast
3. J.A. Henckels 31161-161 CLASSIC Chef’s Knife
JA Henckels Classic Chef Knife is made in Spain from high-quality German stainless steel. It is entirely constructed by a forged method, which gives the knife durability and an effortless transition from blade to handle.
A professional, satin-finished blade shouts precision and is homed in the best possible way for long-lasting sharpness.
Its ergonomic and traditional triple-rivet handle promises balance and comfort throughout. The best part is dishwasher safe for all those who do not like cleaning just after cooking.
- QUALITY MANUFACTURING: Fabricated from high-quality German stainless steel. Made in Spain.
- DURABLE: Fully forged construction offers durability and a seamless transition from blade to handle
- PRECISE CUTTING: Professional, satin-finished blade boasts precision cutting and is finely honed for long-lasting sharpness
- BALANCED BLADE: Ergonomic, traditional triple-rivet handle for balance and comfort
- EASY CLEAN UP: Dishwasher safe
4. Aroma house Chef Knife
Aroma House Chef Knife is a well-balanced cooking knife. The weight and the balance between the blade and the handle are well balanced. Its ergonomic Pakkawood handle offers a superior comfort level and a non-slip grip to minimize any accidents, finger numbness, or aches.
It is ideal for professional chefs or regular cooks. It is designed for multi-purposes and professional applications. It is easy to handle and use during your daily kitchen tasks like chopping, slicing, peeling vegetables, meat, fruits, and bread.
It has a double-edged blade, perfect for chefs that are right or left-handed. It is known for its beauty, impeccable performance with a robust design and durability. The knife comes in an elegant gift box and is an excellent present for all. The knife comes with a lifetime warranty and returns policy.
- KNIFE SIZE : Blade edge thickness : 1/4 (2.5mm) , length : 8 inch , width:1.6 inch.
- WOODEN HANDLE : The wooden handle has a better grip and will not slip out of your hand.
- FULL-TANG DESIGN: This chef's knife features a full-tang design to enhance the toughness of the blade, making the knife more durable and sharp.
- COMES WITH A SHARPENER: This 8 inch chef's knife comes with a sharpener, please keep the knife wet when sharpening it will be better.
- GIFT BOX PACKED: This knife has a thick and beautiful box packaging, suitable for self-use or gift, easy to carry.
5. Chef’s Knife German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife
The chef knife makes it easy to handle your everyday kitchen tasks, including chopping, shredding, dicing, and more. Cutting vegetables will be far more comfortable than you thought it would. It is an all-rounder knife.
It has an ultra-sharp blade and an ergonomic handle for perfect performance in your kitchen. The blade is integrated with a superior comfort handle, which will not slide down your hands and bring down your cutting time.
The blade is made from German stainless steel and is rust, corrosion, and discoloration resistant. It is strong and durable and will reach your expectations as a chef. This chef knife is the best choice for both home and professional chefs.
It is designed for multipurpose chef activities. The knife comes with a stylish box and a 3.5-inch fruit knife—a perfect gift to the family, friends on birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, etc.
- Multifunctional knife: The chef knife makes it easy to handle your kitchen tasks, including chopping, shredding, dicing and more. It can gives you effortless to cut fruits, vegetables, fish, sushi and meat. Definitely the all-around cooking knife.
- Ultra sharp and Ergonomic handle: Sharpness is the top priority of an excellent kitchen knife. Good sharp edge retention maintains perfect performance over the long term, ensuring effortless handling of a wide range of ingredients. The thickness of this kitchen knife is 2mm, which is ideal to do the job and do the job well. The blade of this knife is integrated with the superior comfort handle which won’t slide down off your wet hands. As well as it can slashing down your cutting time.
- For professional chefs & cooking enthusiasts: The chef knife has been the best choice of both home chefs and Professional. This Pro kitchen knife is designed to be multipurpose knife for chef applications.
- Anti-Corrosion and anti-tarnish blade: German cutlery steel resists rust, corrosion and discoloration. This chef knife won’t fade or tarnish even after using it for a long time because its contain 16%-18% chrome. It will also maintain its toughness and functionality for a long time.
- Quality gift box: Our kitchen knife set packed in a stylish black presentation box, comes with a 3.5 Inch fruit knife. Thoughtful design and an excellent gift idea for friends, family, and special occasions such as birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, and more.
6. DALSTRONG Chef Knife
Dalstrong gives its customers the best craftsmanship, the latest technology, stunning designs, and premium quality materials at great prices. The knives are incredibly razor-sharp, made from high carbon German steel with a hand-polished edge.
The handle is crafted from imported black Pakkawood, triple-riveted with a grip that promises comfort and maneuverability.
It is laminated and hand polished for a satin finish and carefully tapered for hardness, flexibility, and minimum slicing resistance. Perfect for kitchens – personal or professional.
- Outstanding craftsmanship, cutting-edge technology, stunning design elements, and premium materials. Peak performance has never looked so good at this price.
- Incredibly razor sharp, full-tang, imported high-carbon German steel with a hand polished edge at 16-18 degrees per side. Precisely tempered and stain resistant.
- Award winning design chef's knives, with satisfying heft, premium materials and quality feel. Premium G10 Garolite handle is triple-riveted with a grip that ensures comfort and maneuverability. Laminated and polished for a sanitary build, perfect for busy kitchens.
- Engineered to perfection at 56+ Rockwell hardness and hand polished to a satin finish. Carefully tapered for improved hardness, flexibility, and minimal slicing resistance. Tall blade height provides useful knuckle clearance. National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) certified.
- See why thousands of professional chefs and home cooks love and trust the DALSTRONG DIFFERENCE. 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk free, we know you'll love it!
8 Things to Consider Before Buying a Chef’s Knife
There are two main ways knives are made from:
These are created in extreme heat, and pressure due to which the steel is then molded into the desired shape. These are of very high quality and cost more than a stamped knife. The forging process creates a strong blade that is less prone to bending over a period.
These are made with a machine, punched out of a piece of steel. The edge is sharpened after the blade is formed, and the knife has the same thickness throughout. But these knives are not considered high-quality knives, as compared to Forged knives.
Yet, we have a lot of stamped knives in the market that performs exceptionally well. The major drawback of using a stamped knife is that you might have to sharpen them often and replace them soon.
The Cost of the Knife
All you chefs know how essential knives are in your cooking and how it is used so much that you will probably consider it as an investment while buying a knife. You will probably want to spend some money on the best knife and want the knife to be worth it.
When it comes to a good chef’s knife or Santoku knife, try finding the one that stays sharp for some time, even after excessive use, is well constructed, and its durability matches its worth moneywise.
You probably will not want to spend a lot of money on any other kinds of knives as they are not used as frequently. But do try to look for a knife that fulfills your criteria nevertheless and is worth the cost, however less.
While a decent chef’s knife typically costs over $200, for those who do not want to spend as much on a knife but still want a decent knife – please do your research correctly before spending.
With the right research, you can find the best chef knives under $100, with fantastic reviews that will last you a long time, or you could read this article further too!
The Sharpness of the Knife
A knife’s sharpness does not just determine how well it works, but it also reflects how safe it is for use. You might think, the sharper the knife, the more significant the risk when the opposite is true.
Yes, you can cause yourself some real damage if you cut yourself with a sharp knife, but what you do not know is that you are more likely to cut yourself while struggling to cut with a dull blade. This is when you are at the most risk of losing control over your knife and hurting yourself.
There is not a “correct” weight to look for when it comes to knives. It is a matter of personal preference. Newbie chefs or home chefs often do a little experimenting to see what works for them better than the rest.
Some people find a lightweight knife much easier to use, while there are people who prefer a heavier one and feel like they have more control over it. It is all about personal preferences in the end.
The Comfort of the Handle
It is essential to consider the comfort of the handle when buying a knife and its weight and balance. It depends upon the material used for the handle – wood, plastic, metal, and composites are the most common options.
Another factor you will want to consider before buying a chef’s knife is the ease of maintenance. Some knives are prone to rust or corrosion much faster than others.
So, if you are not one of those who clean and dries his utensils right after using them, you might want to go for a low-maintenance knife or spend a little less on the knife shopping.
In addition to maintaining a knife, many knives require regular sharpening too.
If that is the chore, you know I will steer clear from in the future, and I will steer clear from knives requiring regular sharpening.
The material the knife is made of
Most knives are made of stainless steel, known for their strength, durability, and ease of sharpening. Some higher-end knives use carbon steel, which is a lot stronger and sturdier but not durable.
You will probably face common problems like rusting and stains if you are not consistent in the maintenance work after using a carbon steel knife. If not stainless or carbon steel, you have another option you might want to consider- high carbon stainless steel.
It is more robust than stainless steel and far more durable than carbon steel. Some brands also offer ceramic knives. These stay sharp for a long time and are most lightweight as compared to all other knives.
But once they start to dull, they are the hardest to sharpen. You will have to send these knives to a professional to have them sharpened.
Balance and weight go hand in hand when you are determining how comfortable you are with your knife. If the weight falls too much on either side (this means the blade or the handle is heavier), then chopping will be quite a task for you.
Do take some time to check reviews and see what other people are saying about the product because this is the kind of judgment that cannot be done with shopping online.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Chef Knife Used For?
A chef’s knife is a multipurpose knife designed to perform well at many different kitchen tasks instead of excelling at just one task. A chef knife can be used for mincing, slicing, and chopping vegetables or meat and disjointing large cuts.
What Size Chef Knife is the Best?
While professionals wield 12-inch blades, home cooks prefer to get a blade around 8 inches in length.
Which are The Sharpest Knife Blades in the World?
Obsidian knife blades are the thinnest blades, 3 nanometers wide at the edge and ten times sharper than a razor blade. These are made by flaking a long, thin silver from a core of obsidian (volcanic glass).
Which Knives are Essential for My Kitchen?
There are only three knives that are essential in your kitchen. A chef’s knife, a paring knife, and a serrated knife. Any other knives are a luxury.
Sure, they will make cooking more enjoyable and more comfortable, but they still are unnecessary if you have the three essential knives. A chef’s knife is the most important and a must-have in everyone’s kitchen.