How would you feel if you woke up one day and saw that your one knife does not cut your breakfast apple anymore?
I once had a beautiful knife. It was made of pakkawood, had an oak-y look to it, and the blades were made of German stainless steel. It was my cooking knife.
I used to use it for chopping, peeling, slicing, cutting vegetables, meat, bread, and fruits; basically, I used it for anything and everything. This is a prevalent thing among us bachelors, using one utensil for everything.
I have a frying pan that I use to make an omelet, boil rice, and make gravy. So, the knife was no different.
Except for one day, I woke up, and the knife would no longer cut. To me, it had served its time, and now it was time for me to get a new knife and move on.
But a decent knife would cost me around 50-60 dollars, and of course, I was breaking as usual.
So, after panicking a little, I arrived at a solution.
I would sharpen my knife. Quick question though, how to sharpen a serrated knife?
How to Sharpen a Serrated Knife?
Method 1: Ceramic Sharpening Rod
Sharpening a serrated knife is known to be the most time-consuming and challenging task ever, but fortunately, ceramic sharpening rods are cheap and readily available.
They are more challenging than steel and sharpen the scallops (serrations). Ceramic rods are usually around 1000 grit.
They are also known to give the best results if it has been a long time since you last sharpened your knife or if your knife has any bent points.
This method will give you a sharp edge on both sides of your serrated knife. This process is time-consuming, but on the plus side, very simple to do.
And in the end, it gives the best results. Your serrated knife will be as good as new.
Step 1: Hold the serrated knife with its tip pointing away from your body. Lay the ceramic sharpening rod in each serration and try to match the serrated bevel’s angle as well as you can.
Step 2: Gently and lightly pull the rod through the serration. Do not run the rod back and forth in both directions. Instead, draw the rod slowly away from the blade to protect your hands from the sharp edge of your knife.
Step 3: Now, we come to the “time-consuming, tiresome” part of this method. Though sticking with it will give you great results, better than any other method. Repeat Step 2 a few times on each serration.
Step 4: It is recommended to pass both sides of the knife blade over a leather strop after sharpening to polish the knife blade further and remove any fine burrs left.
Method 2: Spyderco Sharpmaker
This method is quite like the ceramic rod method, though it does include a proper machine for sharpening all kinds of knives.
It is a little more expensive than the ceramic rod but will not burn holes in your pocket.
It is also quite reasonable because it will help you sharpen all your knives and is quicker to execute than the previous method.
Step 1: Set the sharp maker tool on a table or a bench and place the triangular rods in their holders. Make sure that you leave the rod exposed on the serrated side of the knife and the flat side exposed on the straight edge side of the knife.
Step 2: Now, gently draw the knife down across the rods at a slight angle, several times on each side of the blade. You will move slower on the serrated side than you usually would with a straight edge knife.
Do cover the blade’s entire length and “choke-up” on the knife and cover the blade in sections if you want to.
Step 3: Continue with this process at least 5 to 6 times on each side of the blade. On the serrated side of the blade, set the blade’s angle so that it matches the angle of the serration.
On the flat side, you will maybe want to angle the blade just a little slightly off flat so that it can remove the burrs if any but not scratch the surface of the back of the knife.
Step 4: Pass both sides of the serrated knife blade over a leather strop once you are through with sharpening the knife. This will further polish the blade and remove any burrs that were maybe left.
The previous methods are used to sharpen your knives that have gone dull. The next two methods are used to “maintain” a right sharp edge on the blade before it becomes dull.
These methods are great for preventive measures, to be done regularly, to avoid dulling out your knife.
Method 3: Work Sharp’s Knife & Tool Sharpener
As mentioned above, this method is for “maintaining” the serrations of your knife, although the result will not last as long as it will with the previous methods about how to sharpen a serrated knife.
You will be required to use the 6000-grit belt on the Work Sharp’s knife sharpener. Using this belt will give the knives an excellent polish and maintain sharp edges.
Anything coarser than this will ruin the serrations and wear out your knife.
Step 1: Go through the instructions that come with the knife and tool sharpener in the box. There are some specifics you should know about your knife in this guide.
Step 2: Install the 6000-grit belt on the sharpener.
Step 3: Slowly draw the non-serrated side of the blade across the belt. You can pull the knife across several times, or you can go back and forth with the knife.
Method 4: Electric Serrated Knife Sharpener
Using an electric serrated knife sharpener is like using the Work Sharp’s Knife sharpener in the previous method.
Before buying this, you need to be clear about your needs and exactly how you plan to use the sharpener. Because if you want to use it to sharpen kitchen knives and every knife you own has the same edge angle, an electric knife sharpener is a great option.
But it will not make much sense going for it when you want to cover all your kitchen knives, pocket knives, tools in the shed. This is where you will want to go for the Knife and Tool sharpener in Method 3.
Step 1: Read the instructions to guide you on how to use this machine and sharpen a serrated knife successfully. You will be using Stage 3 Electric Sharpener (the finest grit) though you will have an option between 3 stages in the machine. Stage 3 only polishes the blade’s edge, like the leather strop.
Step 2: After reading the guide, place the blade on Stage 3, and draw the entire length of the blade through the sharpener 4-5 times on each side of the blade, changing sides each time.
You can choose either of the four methods to know how to sharpen a serrated knife. After deciding what method you want to go forward with, do have a look at these top 5 handpicked choices from Amazon.com for your knife sharpening needs.
Top 5 Serrated Knives You Can Buy.
KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2-Stage Knife Sharpener, Black
KitchenIQ 50009 is perfect for polishing dull knives and quick touch-ups of an already sharp knife or damaged knives.
It has a patented edge grip feature that allows sharpening on the edge of the table or counter, stopping the tip of larger knives from dragging over the counter’s surface.
It is powered with carbide blades (coarse), quick edge setting capabilities, and ceramic rods (sufficient) for final edge honing.
It is compact and easy to store and has a non-slip base and a rubber handle for stability, sufficient grip, and control. You can sharpen the straight edge and serrated edge blades with The KitchenIQ 50009.
You have a choice between 4 variants-
- Coarse for dull and damaged knives
- Fine for polishing the knife and for quick touch-ups for an already sharp knife
- Patented Edge Grip feature allows sharpening on the edge of the table or counter top- prevents the tip of larger knives from dragging over the surface of the counter
- Compact for easy storage. Carbide blades (Coarse) provide quick edge setting capabilities, and the ceramic rods (Fine) are used for the final edge honing
- Non-slip base for added stability and control.Soft grip rubber handle
Honing Steel Knife Sharpening Steel Sharpening Rod
This ten or 12inches of knife sharpening steel rod is for all types of knives, including kitchen, household, sporting, or pocketknives. The steel rod is made of carbon steel and plated with nickel-chrome to prevent the cutting edge of the rod from damaging while in use.
It is quick, safe, and effortless to use for both right- and left-handed customers. It has an ergonomic handle with a slip-resistant rubber handle for ease of use for preventing movement of the sharpener during usage.
To clean the rod, use a non-woven cloth soaked with cooking oil to wipe the body and dry it. If it is washed with water, wipe the rod completely dry after washing and hang it in a cool place for air-dry.
Do not put the sharpener in the dishwasher.
- 10-inches knife sharpening steel rod is for all types of knives, including kitchen, household, sporting, and pocket knives; sharpens standard knives
- The steel rod is made of carbon steel and plated with nickel-chrome; the fine surface of the steel rod prevents the cutting edge from damage when sharpening
- Easy to use, right or left-handed, with an ergonomic handle that fits all hands; slip-resistant rubber bottom means your sharpener is easy to handle and stays in place during use
- Quick, safe, and easy to use
- Use a non-woven cloth soaked with cooking oil to wipe the body and dry it; if washed with water, be sure to wipe the rod dry completely after washing and hang in a cool place to air-dry; do not put the sharpener into the dishwasher
Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener Ken Onion Edition
Work Sharp is a 4th generation American company, which has engineered industry-leading sharpening tools in the USA for over 40 years. The tool sharpener produces precise edge bevels from 15 to 30 degrees—motor 120 Vac/1.5 amp.
The duty cycle is of an hour, without stopping. It can handle every sharpening task, from grinding to honing. It is very efficient with zero sets up or calibration time. It has more power with improved cooling and has the option of slow-speed honing or high-speed grinding.
The variable speed control (1,200 SFM to 2,800 SFM) provides you with the optimal belt speed for the task at hand. The premium, flexible abrasive belts deliver a strong, long-lasting, razor-sharp convex edge. The 6000 grit belt measures ½ x inches for contact with serrations, gut hooks, and other hard-to-reach edges.
- ADJUSTABLE SHARPENING GUIDE - produce precise edge bevels from 15° to 30°. motor- 120Vac/1. 5 amp. Duty cycle-1 hr. Continuous
- VARIABLE SPEED MOTOR - handle every sharpening task, from grinding to honing. More power with improved cooling & the option of slow speed honing or high speed grinding. The variable speed control (1, 200 SFM to 2, 800 SFM) provides you with the optimal belt speed for the task at hand
- PREMIUM FLEXIBLE ABRASIVE BELTS - deliver a strong, long lasting razor-sharp convex edge
- FAST, PRECISE, & REPEATABLE - sharpening results with no set up or calibration time. The 6000 grit belt measures ½ x inches) for better contact with Serrations, gut hooks and other hard to reach edges
- PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN COMPANY - Work Sharp is part of Darex, a 4th-generation family owned company in Ashland, Oregon. For over 40 years we have been engineering industry-leading sharpening tools here in the USA
Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener, Grey
It is a tapered round diamond-coated rod for sharpening serrated and standard edges, which has two slots – Carbide Blades (Coarse Carbide Slot) and Ceramic Stones (Fine Ceramic Slot) to give you a razor-sharp edge for your knife.
The Carbide and Ceramic Stones are reversible and replaceable for extended sharpening. For ease of carrying and perfect results, there is also a Lanyard hole and preset sharpening angles. With the packaging, there is also an instruction guide for reference.
- Tapered Round Diamond Coated Rod for Sharpening Serrated and Standard Edges
- Carbide Blades (Coarse CARBIDE Slot) Quickly Set Your Edge; Ceramic Stones (Fine CERAMIC slot) Give You a Razor Sharp Edge
- Reversible and Replaceable Carbide and Ceramic Stones for Extended Sharpening
- Lanyard hole for Carrying
- Preset Sharpening Angles provide Guaranteed Results
2-in-1 Kitchen Knife Accessories: 3-Stage Knife Sharpener Helps Repair, Restore, and Polish Blades and Cut-Resistant Glove
Kitchellence has brought to you a premium quality three slot-3 stage knife sharpening system crafted from ABS plastic. It offers comfort and control at work. The first slot is the Diamond sharpening rod, which repairs and straightens damaged blades before the second slot sharpens to restore the knife’s “V” shape.
In the end, the third slot fine tunes for a neat polish. It is strong and is designed to last for a long time. It is easy to use. Whether you are left-handed or right-handed, the ergonomic handle allows you to restore your knives in seconds. Place the knife blade in each of the slots and gently pull the knife through a few times for efficient and effective sharpening.
With the sharpener, you will receive a cut-resistant glove for the safety of the users. It is designed with a non-slip base for maximum stability. If the product does not satisfy you, as they guarantee it will, Kitchellence provides you a money-back guarantee, a 30-day return policy with an easy and quick refund.
- 3-Step Knife Sharpener: With our incredible 3-slot system, we’re revolutionizing the art of knife sharpening! The 1st diamond sharpening rod repairs and straightens damaged blades before the 2nd slot sharpens to restore its V-shape. Finally, the 3rd slot fine tunes for a clean polish.
- Easy to Use: Whether you’re right or left-handed, the ergonomic handle allows you to restore your cooking knives in a matter of seconds! Simply place the blade in each of the slots and gently pull the knife through a few times for fast, effective sharpening.
- Cut-Resistant Glove Included: At Kitchellence, we put the safety of our customers above all else. Designed with a non-slip base, our kitchen knife sharpener offers comfortable control while you work. We’re even including a cut-resistant glove for added safety!
- Premium Quality: With our professional knife sharpener kit, you don’t have to be a chef to cook like one! Crafted from solid ABS plastic, it’s strong, durable and designed to last a lifetime. Made with high quality materials, knives will look and work like new.
- Shop Risk Free: We’re so confident that you’ll love our knife sharpening kit, we’re backing each order with our unconditional money back guarantee! If you are not completely satisfied, simply return the product within 30 days and we’ll refund your purchase.
So, go ahead get your knife sharpeners now. And do not throw your old knives away just because they are dull. They might have a pesky personality after you sharpen them!