It is not a matter of surprise that some people are passionate about motorcycles—the breeze is swirling around their faces, feeling liberated, chasing the road. If you see someone in a stylish leather jacket, with gloves, a cool and unique helmet, and a stunning motorcycle, you will immediately figure out he/she is a rider.
While each of these riding gears is important, it cannot be denied that helmets are the most vital component of moto gear. Can you think of another pivotal body part that needs protection other than your brain and head?
While the primary purpose of a helmet is to safeguard your skull from injuries, it does not imply that you cannot look cool while wearing one! You can ride fearlessly on the road in style.
However, selecting a relaxed and comfortable helmet is not a piece of cake. Sometimes, you must compromise on cost for comfort and vice versa. But is shopping for a unique and comfortable helmet meant to gulp a significant portion of your money? Not.
Are you looking for a unique motorcycle helmet that suits your personality and pocket? You are in the right place. Let us dive into some of the best options you can consider while choosing one.
Our Pick for the Coolest Motorcycle Helmets
1. Arai XD4 Helmet
When it comes to adventure motorcycle helmets, this is one of the best in the genre. The Arai XD4 Helmet can also be used as a full face or a motocross helmet. Its Face shield gives the rider a clear and comprehensive view, with brow vents to support the circulation of air to the forehead. Certified by Snell, ECE 2015, and DOT endorsement, the helmet comes with multi-density polystyrene liner to absorb shock.
Arai utilizes fibre laminate to reduce its weight while maintaining strength and rigidity. It is available in four sizes- Small, medium, large, and extra-large. The XL helmet weighs around 1640 grams. Its adjustable chin bar ensures noise is reduced to a great extent.
2. Shoei RF-SR Helmet
Though a bit expensive, the Japanese Shoei RF-SR helmet is worth the money. It has a fantastic blend of style and safety, with premium quality. This full-face helmet is inarguably one of the unique motorcycle helmets in the market.
- The name SHOEI has long been synonymous with "premium" in the motorcycle helmet market - a credential that hundreds of loyal men and women in their Japan factories wear with great pride.
- The evolution and production of their world-class helmet line is a meticulous process that combines the very latest in technology with consumer feedback, modern testing practices, advanced materials, and over 50 years of helmet building experience.
- Just like the very first SHOEI helmet built by their founder back in 1959, every SHOEI today is still handmade in Japan utilizing a sophisticated process that involves over 50 people for each and every helmet.
- Aerodynamic Shell Design: Aerodynamic properties are maximized through extensive wind tunnel testing and professional riders' feedback.
- Dual-layer multi-density EPS liner enhances impact absorption and ventilation.
Composed of five fiberglass layers, the helmet is made with Advanced Integrated Matrix Plus technology. In case of an accident, it is Emergency Quick Release System automatically pops out the cheek pads.
The chin bar, forehead vents, and exhaust opening in the rear facilitating adequate ventilation. The RF-SR is available in six sizes (XS-XXL) and seven stylish colour shades.
3. Bell MX-9 Adventure MIPS Helmet
The MX-9 helmet shows exactly why Bell has a prominent reputation among motorcycle riders in the market. Engineered with lightweight polycarbonate and an innovative three shell design, the helmet is just the right pick for both beginners and professionals.
- Lightweight polycarbonate/ABS shell construction with MIPS energy management system
- 3 shell and EPS sizes that are DOT certified and backed with an industry-leading five-year warranty
- Helmet ships with clear shild
- Integrated/Removable clear shield with NutraFog II anti-fog, anti-scratch and UV protection
- DOT approved. Meets the FMVSS 218 Standard
Talking about safety, MIPS stands for Multi-directional Impact Protection System. This feature reduces rotational forces on the rider’s head with the help of a low-friction membrane between the helmet liner and the EPS.
It has a vast visor, allowing a vast field of vision. The shield is easy to remove, with anti-fog, anti-scratch, and UV protection. It comes in three shell sizes with a double-D clasp to secure the bottom.
4. AGV Unisex Full-face K-1 motorcycle helmet
Looking for a basic sports bike helmet with unique aesthetics and a thermoplastic shell? Your search ends here. The AGV K-1 helmet comes with top-class ventilation through a central air intake just above the visor. The face shield is broad, with an anti-fog lock for a clear view. It has pulpy cheek pads to cushion the rider in case of an accident.
- K-1 is the brand new AGV sport helmet for everyday riding challenges
- Born from the AGV racing technology, ready for every road experience
- Aerodynamic shape, racing-developed front air vents and wind-tunnel-tested spoiler maximize performances and give stability at higher speed
- Anti-scratch visor with Pin lock anti fog allows a wider vertical and lateral field of vision
- Shell in high-resistance thermoplastic resin engineered in two sizes with four-density EPS structure developed in four sizes
The aerodynamic thermoplastic shell facilitates wind resistance. This also makes sure there is minimal wind noise. It has five slidable vents: two in the chin bar and rests on the forehead. Many motorcycle helmets come with an Integrated Ventilation System (IVS), but the AGV K-1 is one of the best. The helmet is also comparatively lighter, with the largest shell size weighing up to 1520 grams. It comes in six sizes and three colour options.
5. LS2 Rapid full-face helmet
The LS2 owns one of the coolest and unique motorcycle helmet designs. Even if you ride with Rapid a full day, you will not have a tired neck. It is exceptionally lightweight despite a lower price. A multi-density shock-absorbing lining inside the shell makes it very safe for the rider. It is quick and easy to remove the visor even without tools, so it can easily be swapped or taken off.
- 2 shells for the smallest, lightest helmet possible in your size
- DOT approved quick release chinstrap
- Lightweight, aerodynamic shell
- Hypoallergenic, removable, washable comfort padding
- DOT approved. Meets the FMVSS 218 Standard
The material inside the helmet is removable and washable, composed of breathable fabric overlayered with a 3D laser cut foam. Like most LS2’s, Rapid also comes with a two-year warranty. It is looks, and graphics make it unique. It comes with a wide variety of different designs and finishes, so you can pick out the one that matches your bike and style.
6. AUTO PDR Vintage motorcycle Helmet
Your first question when you see this helmet for the first time would be, “Is this sent back from the future?” The EPS buffer zone and lightweight ABS shell protect against impact.
It comes with a premium detachable and UV-protected goggle mask to protect eyes. It also has a soft and breathable inner lining, ensuring comfort. Belts and buckles can easily be adjusted.
- IMPORTANT SIZING NOTE: Our helmets are made for your comfort and protection. The correct fit may feel snug – they are supposed to fit comfortably yet tightly for your protection. Please see the SIZING CHART below to make sure you are purchasing the best size! Contact us if there are any sizing questions. Comes with Snap On Gloss Black Bubble Visor.
- PROTECT YOUR BRAIN! The fact that this helmet meets and exceeds D.O.T. Safety Standards FMVSS 218 means you and your loved ones have HEAD PROTECTION in case of an accident. Protecting your brain is essential.
- FOR SMALL & BIG HEADS - If you've been searching for an open face helmet with a wide range of sizes, then your search is over! We designed this DOT 3/4 Shell helmet while keeping in mind those with small or large head sizes.
- BUY TRUE D.O.T. ONLY! Many helmets that claim to be approved by the Department of Transportation are not actually DOT certified — ours are! This model is the smallest LOW-PROFILE DOT 3/4 shell helmet in the world to pass DOT certified lab tests.
- NO PINCHING! The last thing you want to feel at higher speeds is a dig caused by an uncomfortable and narrow chin strap that pinches or painfully pulls your hair. That's distracting and dangerous! The position of our chin strap can be adjusted forward or backward to prevent pinching, and will protect the beard of those that have cared to grow one. All it takes is a single motion of the finger to release our custom quick release lock.
Classy with a vintage look, the AUTO PDR catches attention from a distance. It comes in different colors and shell sizes.
7. Ruroc Atlas Helmet
This one is Ruroc’s debut in the motorcycle helmet niche, which is well-reputed for ski and snowboard helmets. The Atlas is exceptionally durable and lightweight, with five air intakes and six exhausts on the shell to facilitate proper ventilation and airflow. It comes Pinlock ready and a specially shaped anti-fog and scratch-resistant visor, which is easily detachable.
- Easy to apply. Adheres with strong 3M tape
- Made out of rubber. Extremely durable.
- Warhawk can be cut shorter for smaller helmets
- 15 blades (approximately 15.75 inches total length)
- Made in the USA
The comfy cheek pads are marked with bright red “emergency” loop tags so that the first responder can quickly release them in case of an accident. The helmet weighs 1538 grams to 1618 grams and comes with a Shockwave Bluetooth system. So, you can connect your smartphone or any other Bluetooth compatible device with your helmet and use voice commands or add directions for better navigation.
8. Shark Evoline 3 Helmet with LED Strips
Shark helmets are one of the coolest and unique motorcycle helmets that you can find in the market. It is a modular helmet with a flip-up feature that makes it both full face and open. The helmet is lightweight, owing to the carbon and multi-axial glass fibers.
It is ECE approved with a second tinted visor inside the rim with ensures the rider can ride comfortably directly into the sun. The Evoline 3 comes ready with an integrated (but optional) Shark tooth intercom Bluetooth system.
- DOT Approved Modular Helmet
- The ultimate evolution of SHARK modular helmet with double full-face / open certification.
- Patented "Auto-up / Auto-down" system allows to automatically lift the visor while raising or lowering the chin guard. Optimized chin guard locking system for improved ergonomics and flexibility.
- Aerodynamic, performance maintained whether in open face or full-face position.
- Integrated inner sun visor. Removable and washable CoolMax liner and integrated inner sun visor..Fit type: Universal Fit
Once you add the LED strips, it looks incredibly unique and stylish. It comes in different shell sizes, ranging from XS to XL. As per its manufacturers, it is “World’s safest modular helmet.” Looks like guaranteed safety, what else were you looking for?
9. Cross Helmet X1 HUD Motorcycle Helmet
Since we are talking about unique helmets, the list would be incomplete without mentioning this one. By the looks of it, it seems like a helmet from one of those sci-fi movies. It has a futuristic design, with an integrated HUD (Head-up display) with the visor. It is engineered with a LEXAN polycarbonate shell with an aerodynamic and curved profile.
- Helmet shown with optional tinted shield. (Ships with clear shield only)
- Lightweight Polycarbonate/ABS shell Construction. Padded wind collar drastically reduces wind and road noise
- NutraFog II UV-protected shield which is a ClickRelease shield for fast, easy and tool-free shield replacement
- Velocity Flow Ventilation system with FlowAdjust
- DOT approved. Meets the FMVSS 218 Standard
The helmet is also equipped with a wide-angle rear-view camera, which means that the rider has access to a 170-degree view behind him. The X1 uses Lithium-Ceramic batteries that offer 6-8 hours of life. Manufacturers claim that it meets DOT, ECE, and JIS safety standards. The helmet comes in six shell sizes and weighs 1780 grams. Coupled with innovative features, X1 is undoubtedly a helmet for the future.
How to Choose a Unique Motorcycle Helmet that Suits you the Best?
There are various factors you need to consider before choosing a helmet. However, before looking for options, the first question you need to ask yourself is: “What type of helmet do I need?” Broadly, there are six types of helmets to choose from – Full face, modular, Half shell, Open-faced, Dual-sport, and off-road. Each of these categories comes with different features and uses. Some are hybrid of two or more types.
Certification and safety features
After deciding a helmet style, make sure your chosen helmet has an ISI mark. It implies that the helmet has been approved by the government and has passed all the necessary safety tests like chin strap retention quality and minimum penetration capabilities.
Snell, DOT, and ECE-rated helmets to ensure safety. Even though a little expensive, they provide excellent protection to the head and chin.
Without proper ventilation, it becomes impossible to ride long distances. Analyze the helmet properly. It should have top, brow, and rear exhaust vents with comfortable padding inside.
A good helmet should not feel like a burden to your head. It should be lightweight and facilitate aerodynamics such as thrust. Do not buy plastic ones, and they will break easily if you fall. Also, the foam inside the helmet should be removable and washable.
You cannot compromise when it comes to the size and fitting of the helmet. It should neither be oversized, not too small for your head. An excellent method to judge a helmet will be wearing it for 5-10 minutes before buying it. It should fit in your head precisely, with no coercion.
These are some of the essential factors that need consideration. A helmet is the crucial piece of gear that you wear while riding a motorcycle. Make sure it suits your unique personality, style, and preference.